District 1070 Annual Conference
Friday 22 to Sunday 24 September 2017
Latest update 07/07/2017
Welcome to the Rotary District 1070, 89th Conference web site, where you will find details of what is planned for the weekend, the speakers you will hear, the entertainment on offer and some of the things you can do in the area as you catch up with old friends.
District Governor, Chris Davies and the entire conference team are dedicated to bringing you the most fun we can pack into the weekend……
So come and join us !!
As a reminder the Conference is open to Rotarians, Wives/Partners, Inner Wheel members, Rotaractors and guests.
Download Conference 4pp flyer HERE
Llandudno is the venue
Llandudno is Wales’s largest and most popular resort. The town is uniquely situated between the Great and Little Ormes on the coast of undoubtedly one of the most beautiful settings within the British Isles, famous for its award winning golden sands, and family attractions. It is a town of distinct character with a wonderfully preserved promenade, delightful shopping parade plus an abundance of daytime activities and evening entertainment.
Across the estuary is medieval Conwy, a world heritage site, with its magnificent castle, picture postcard harbour and historic buildings. Colwyn Bay and Rhos-On-Sea offer something for all the family, action water sports, cycling along the coastal track or visiting the mountain zoo.
In travel terms, the A55 dual carriageway connects Llandudno to both the M56 and M53; direct trains run from Llandudno Junction to London via the Midlands in 2 to 3 hours
The Stunning Conference Venue
The 2017 conference takes place at “Venue Cymru”, situated in a unique and outstanding sea-front location on the long crescent promenade of Llandudno which never fails to charm. Set beneath the glorious foothills of Snowdonia and occupying spectacular views out to sea, Venue Cymru is one of the finest locations for managed conferences.
Comprising more than 7000 sq. mts of top quality exhibition and conference space and banqueting, Venue Cymru’s extensive facilities and fantastic versatility meet delegates every desire for a successful and memorable event.
Why attend conference ?
District conference is a great opportunity to meet Rotarians from other clubs in our District as well as to spend a weekend away with other members of your own Rotary Club and to have a good time !!
- Be inspired – our district always has fantastic speakers at conference, ones that will inspire Rotarians to continue what we do in Rotary in order to improve the lives of others.
- Be motivated – meeting and talking to Rotarians from around the district is always amazing, just hearing how much we do will easily motivate you to do more.
- Be enthused – there’s one quality that all Rotarians need, enthusiasm, and believe us when you attend a conference you’ll certainly leaved enthused to support Rotary, your club and your community.
- Have fun – there’s no point in doing something if it’s not fun, and conferences are always, most definitely, fun! Not only do you get to spend more time with your fellow club members, you get to enjoy a beautiful part of the world and take in new experiences.
The Conference Key Events….
Friday 22 September 2017
- The Friday programme will start with the GOLF tournament at MAESDU GOLF CLUB for those Rotarians and guests who wish to take part. Download a Golf Entry Form HERE
- House Of Friendship in the ORME SUITE of VENUE CYMRU and will be open from 12.00 noon until 5.30pm.
- Friday evening HOT FORK 2 COURSE BUFFET will be served in THE ARENA.
- “FRIDAY VARIETY NIGHT” being held in THE THEATRE is open to ALL registered guests.
Saturday 23 September 2017
- The House of Friendship in the ORME SUITE will be open from 8.00am until 2.00pm.
- The morning plenary session which commences at 9am will feature a series of brilliant and inspirational speakers, closing at 1.30pm.
- Saturday afternoon there will be a choice of organised events/visits and or whatever else you’d like to do to make your day fun!
- Saturday evening we’ll be laying on the Gala Dinner at the ARENA for those delegates who have pre-booked.
- Followed by Dance & Cabaret featuring the JERSEY 4 tribute group, which is open to ALL REGISTERED delegates and guests.
Sunday 24 September 2017
- The House of Friendship in the ORME SUITE will be open from 8.00 am until the end of the INTERVAL.
- Sunday morning will see more plenary sessions commencing with “Thought for the Day” in the THEATRE at 9.15am. Conference will close at 1.30pm.
SELECTION OF CONFERENCE SPEAKERS
- David Webster – WARNING ZONE
- Angela Cairns – SHANNON TRUST
- John Tucker – WOODLAND TRUST
- Dr Tim Mackrill – OSPREY MIGRATION PROJECT
- Rodney Spokes – 2018 RI CONVENTION
- Chris Wells – ROTARACT
- Colin Alderson – THE QUEENS CHEF
- Thought for the Day – CONWY CHOIR
- Tim Tucker – 2018 1070 DISTRICT CONFERENCE TORQUAY
- Jean Callaghan – INNER WHEEL
- Judith Green – OGDEN TRUST
- Lorraine Ayres – DIFFERENT STROKES
- Chris Davies – ETHIOPIA
- Nicki Chapman – MY LIFE IN BROADCASTING
The above speakers are shown in no particular order and subject to change.
The Entertainment Programme…
Friday evening “HOT FORK BUFFET”
Served in The ARENA from 6.30pm
- Pre-Booking for the buffet @ £17pp is essential
MAINS 1- Chargrilled Chicken Fillets with grain mustard & sautéed leek sauce
MAINS 2- Chunks of Beef with caramelised red wine chasseur sauce
SIDES – With Creamy Potato Dauphinose & Cajun Spiced Potato Wedges, Steamed Broccoli and cauliflower with herb cheese sauce, selction of buttered peas, fine beans, mangetout & sugar snap peas.
DESSERT – Ginger scented Sticky Toffee Pudding with Brandy Sauce
“Friday Variety Night” In The Theatre Auditorium at 8.30pm
- This event is OPEN to ALL registered guests
- The cocktail of entertainment includes comedy from Liverpudlian JAMIE SUTHERLAND mixed with humour from former conference favourite JUDITH HIBBERT.
- THE FOXGLOVES will offer the blended sound and classy glamour of the 1940’s sung in the style of The Andrews Sisters.
“The Saturday Gala Dinner & Cabaret Dance” In the ARENA
- “Registered Delegates will be eligible to purchase tickets for the Dinner when registering for conference. Price £39 p.p.
- Dress code is black tie or Lounge suit. Rotary Regalia is optional.
Delegates to meet at 7.00pm for dinner at 7.30pm
STARTER – Crab, lemongrass and chilli cakes with rice wine vinegar, pickled yellow and green courgettes
MAIN COURSE – 8oz Lamb Henry, cooked in thyme and garlic with potato & parsnip rosti
VEGETARIAN OPTION AVAILABLE – must be pre-booked
DESSERT – Drunken Chocolate and gelatine Cherry Tart with vanilla cream
Post Dinner entertainment
will be provided by “The Jersey 4” tribute group who will offer an eclectic mix of cabaret and dance favourites guaranteed to get you on your feet commencing with BEACH BOY CLASSICS followed by JERSEY BOY HITS. During their intermission Classic Dance music will fill the air.
Those Registered Delegates who have not purchased tickets for the dinner will be welcome to attend the cabaret/dance
The Conference Hotels
The District Team headquarters hotel is the Llandudno Bay Hotel which is now fully booked……
Delegates and visitors requiring assistance in booking accommodation, should contact the team at Llandudno Tourist Information Centre who can help. This service would normally cost £2 however if delegates quote ‘Rotary’ at the time of an enquiry this fee will be waived.
A 10% deposit of the total cost is required at the time of booking to secure the room(s), this deposit will then be deducted from the final bill. To take advantage of this service please call 01492 577577. One of the friendly team members will then take down your specific requirements, search for availability and book it on your behalf.
You may also e-mail your requirements through to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ‘Rotary’, however please note for security, payments can only be taken over the telephone.
Alternatively you can enquire on-line by visiting:
N.B. Check the room rates to make sure the reservations people agree they are correct prices
Everyone attending the Saturday or Sunday plenary sessions, the Friday evening event, the Saturday Gala Dinner and/or Cabaret, MUST be registered for Conference.
Registration Fees per person.
- £35 Registration
- £17 Friday Supper
- £39 Saturday Gala Dinner
Click HERE to open postal pdf registration form (payment by cheque)
Completed postal forms accompanied by the appropriate registration fees in the form of a cheque to be posted to:- Rtn. Mary French (Rotary Club of Leicester De Montfort).
Click here to open on-line excel registration form (payment by BACS)
Full payment must then be made by BACS to:
RIBI District 1070 Conference Account.
Sort Code 40-46-03
Account No. 61839101
Quoting Lead Rotarian’s Surname and Initials
N.B. Registration will close on Friday 1 September 2017
CAN BE COLLECTED FROM THE CONFERENCE CENTRE AT THE FOLLOWING TIMES….
Friday – from 10.00am til 5.00pm
Saturday – from 8.00am
“1070 Conference Golf Competition”
Friday 22 September 2017
Maesdu Golf Club
Hospital Road, Llandudno LL30 1HU
Tee times from 11:06am to 12:20pm – but expandable, if there is demand !
A premier course in North Wales, Maesdu has 18 gently undulating holes that combine both parkland and links golf. It enjoys captivating panoramic views of the curving Conwy Bay – from The Great Orme Head to the dramatic mountains of the Snowdonia National Park. The course is varied and interesting and can be enjoyed by players of all abilities.
Prizes will take the form of cheques to your club’s charity account and the amount will be determined by the size of the entry.
The competition will be Single Stableford – Full stroke allowance. Played in 3 or 4 balls (subject to total no. of entries)
The Conference Trophy will be presented to the best individual net score over 18 holes in addition to a best “Ladies Prize” and a “Team Trophy” (best 2 scores to count from up to 4 players) during the Sunday plenary sessions.
For further information and a full copy of the rules please contact the organiser.
DOWNLOAD ENTRY FORM HERE
Rtn. Iain Martin. Rotary Club of St Ives
MORE DETAILS of 2017 CONFERENCE INCLUDING THE SPEAKERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED OVER TIME, SO PLEASE CHECK BACK REGULARLY…….
Conference Manager – Rtn. Bill Hill The Rotary Club of Melton Mowbray – email@example.com
Conference Registration – Rtn. Mary French The Rotary Club of Leicester De Montfort – firstname.lastname@example.org
House of Friendship – Rtn. David French The Rotary Club of Blaby Meridian – email@example.com
Conference Golf Competitiion – Rtn. Iain Martin, Rotary Club of St Ives – firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference Publicity & Web Pages – Rtn Malcolm Riddle, Rotary Club of Blaby Meridian – email@example.com
Latest update 07/07/2017