Last update 22.5.2018
The 2018 District 1070
90th ANNUAL CONFERENCE
21st-23rd September 2018
Preparations are well under way for the 2018 Rotary District 1070 Conference in the seaside resort of Torquay, on the English Riviera.
Come back to this webpage on regular basis for updated details of the conference programme including, events, speakers etc.
Registrations for Conference and the Golf Competition are OPEN and will close on 1st September 2018
See Below for Registration Forms and details of some of
THE INSPIRATIONAL SPEAKERS & ENTERTAINERS
booked for The Torquay Conference…..
The English Riviera offers a beautiful – and practical – location for the 1070 conference in the South West.
Just approx. four hours from the East Midlands, the English Riviera offers the complete conference package with accommodation and activities and a relaxing blend of mild climate, beaches and countryside.
Torquay offers delegates and guests the best of both worlds – a place to relax but also a place with lots to do.
Famed for its award-winning beaches Torquay is in many ways the quintessential seaside resort. After a day of meetings, a stroll along the palm tree-lined promenade is the ideal way to unwind.
But for those wishing for a little added stimulus, Torquay has it covered. From the Agatha Christie Mile to the Living Coasts Zoo, from bars to restaurants to harbourside shops, time away from the conference hall can be as action packed or as relaxing as your delegates choose.
Paignton too, with its iconic pier and expansive beaches, is a classic English Rivera resort, full of charm and with plenty to do.
Paignton’s many attractions include an internationally renowned zoo, a steam railway, numerous bars and restaurants and a coastal path with unforgettable views.
A traditional maritime town, Brixham is full of history – from a life-size replica of Sir Frances Drake’s Golden Hind to the Heritage Museum. There’s a great choice of café’s, bars and restaurants and naturally it’s the place to visit for great seafood.
The Conference Centre
The conference venue is the Riviera International Centre, located in the heart of the community and with an inspirational setting by the sea. They have delivered an award-winning track record of events and are committed to providing a first class conference for Rotary.
Take a Virtual Tour of the centre HERE.
Riviera International Centre
Torquay, Devon TQ2 5LZ
Booking your accommodation for Torquay is easy!
Conference English Riviera have set up a designated booking website for the 2018 Conference. The hassle-free online booking system couldn’t be easier to use. You’ll find lots of accommodation options to suit all budgets at very competitive rates from luxury hotels to charming Bed & Breakfasts. You are just a click away from finding your perfect place to stay!
The process for booking Hotels in Torquay is as follows:-
Go to www.conferenceenglishriviera.com
At the top of the website is a blue bar….Click on Accommodation….
Go to the District 1070 event in the list….
Click on Make a booking….
You will then see the list of hotels and prices !
Why attend District Conference ?
● Be inspired – our district always has fantastic speakers at conference, ones that will inspire Rotarians to continue what we do in Rotary in order to improve the lives of others.
● Be motivated – meeting and talking to Rotarians from around the district is always amazing, just hearing how much we do will easily motivate you to do more.
● Be enthused – there’s one quality that all Rotarians need, enthusiasm, and believe us when you attend a conference you’ll certainly leaved enthused to support Rotary, your club and your community.
● Have fun – there’s no point in doing something if it’s not fun, and conferences are always, most definitely, fun! Not only do you get to spend more time with your fellow club members, you get to enjoy a beautiful part of the world and take in new experiences.
As a reminder the Conference is open to Rotarians, Wives/Husbands/Partners, Inner Wheel Members, Rotaractors and Guests……
Conference Registration is now open and will close on 1st Sept 2018.
N.B. Everyone attending the Saturday or Sunday plenary sessions, and or the Friday and Saturday evening events MUST be registered for conference.
Conference Registration.…………….£ 34 per person or £10 for Rotaractors
Friday Evening Hot Fork Buffet.….£ 18 per person
BUFFET MENU (V Revised 22.05.18)
- Beef Bourguignon Button Onions Lardons & Baby Mushrooms
Pork Cider Casserole, Sage & Mustard Sauce
(V) Italian Bean Casserole, Fresh Tomatoes and Herbs
All Served with Rice (A potato dish will also be available)
Strawberry Panna Cotta with a Marinated Strawberry Compote & Lime Scented Crème Fraiche
Classic Lemon Tart with Raspberry Puree Citrus Curd Cream & a Honeycomb Shard
Tea, Coffee, Mints
Saturday Evening Gala Dinner…….£ 42 per person
GALA DINNER MENU (V Revised 22.05.2018)
- Savoury Panna Cotta with Honey Roasted Fig Salad, drizzled with Balsamic Dressing (V)
Fillet of Beef Medallions set on Sweet Peppers & Onions with a Tarragon & Brandy Cream Sauce or Vegetarian Option Wild Mushrooms Ravioli etc.
(V) Buffalo Ricotta and Baby Spinach Ravioli with Black Truffle Oil & Sun Blushed Tomatoes
Poached Pear in Elderflower set on a Basil Shortbread with fresh raspberries & Anglaise Sauce
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT OPTIONS
- PAYMENT BY BACS. Email the completed Registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org and submit payment to “RIBI District Conference A/C” SORT CODE 40-46-03 Account No. 61839101. The name of the Leading Rotarian and Club MUST be shown with the BACS payment in order to be paired with the e.mailed registration form which can be downloaded from HERE as an EXCEL doc.
- PAYMENT BY CHEQUE. Please post the completed form to ELAINE VANDELLI, 7 HEYCOCK CLOSE, FLECKNEY, LEICESTER. LE 8 8UH accompanied by cheque payable to “RIBI District Conference A/C” The postal registration form can be downloaded from HERE as a PDF doc.
THE CONFERENCE ENTERTAINMENT
Click HERE for a live demo
THE CONFERENCE PROGRAMME
- 11.00am Golf Competition – Churston Golf Club. (details below)
- 12.00 – 5.30pm House of Friendship in the Roseter Room
- 9.00am onwards – Register in the Conference centre
- 6.46pm approx. Hot Fork Buffet in the conference centre (ticket only)
- 8.30pm Concert in the conference centre Forum theatre with JACK DENT & ANDY QUINN
- 8.00am – 2.00pm House of Friendship
- 9.00am – 1.30pm 1st Plenary session in the Conference Centre theatre. Excellent speakers (full list to be announced later)
- 7pm for 7.15pm seating – Gala Dinner in Arena (ticket only)
- 9.30pm – midnight. Evening entertainment and dancing to “The Daisy Chains”
- 8.00am until end of interval(12 noon) House of Friendship open
- 9.30am – 1.30pm 2nd Plenary session with interval 11.30am
A SELECTION OF “BRILLIANT” CONFERENCE SPEAKERS
Watch this space for more names….
CALLING ALL ROTARY GOLFERS
The Golf Competition being played on Friday 21st September, at CHURSTON GOLF CLUB is open to Rotarians and Guests registered for the Torquay conference.
The competition will be Single Stableford played in 3 or 4 balls over 18 holes, (subject to total no. of entries). Tee times from 10:58am to 12.02 pm – but expandable, subject to demand
Established in the late 1800’s, it is doubtful if you will find an 18 hole golf course in the South West in a more idyllic location or in a better condition than Churston. It sits proudly overlooking Torbay with stunning coastal views, running alongside the South West coastal path from Churston to Brixham. There are two practice putting greens, two chipping areas, four outside nets, an indoor golf simulation system, and a full driving range.
For further information and a full copy of the rules please contact the golf organiser: –
Iain Martin, Rotary Club of St Ives. email@example.com
2018 Conference Key Contacts
Conference Manager – Bob McKinlay (Grantham Kesteven)
Conference Secretary – Roger McDermott ( Coalville)
Registration – Elaine Vandelli (Kibworth & Fleckney)
House of Friendship – Ian Neale (Melton Mowbray)
Golf Competition – Iain Martin (St Ives)
Publicity & Web Page – Malcolm Riddle (Blaby Meridian)