SlamJam is a spoken word programme that encourages young people to write – and then perform – their own performance poetry.
Available to all secondary schools and Youth Groups, SlamJam is an engaging and challenging opportunity for young people to develop their writing and performance skills, build their self-confidence, and – ultimately – have a real impact on an audience.
See how Slamjam could work and benefit students in your school or youth organisation by viewing this Slamjam video, Turn the sound on, sit comfortably and – just click here
SlamJam rules :
- All pieces must be original and performed by the writer(s)
- The subject matter is the choice of the writer(s)
- Each performance should be 3 minutes in duration
- There can be no use of scripts, props or costumes in the performance
- Performances can be by individuals, pairs or trios
Prizes are given for winners of Key Stage 3, (11-14), Key Stage 4 (14-16) and Key Stage 5 (Sixth Form).
How to enter:
- Complete the 2018 competition entry form (available here) and return it by email to to the SlamJam organiser Chris Milnes by December 20th 2017
- Schedule the programme to begin between January and April. It is recommended that you include this in your English or Drama curriculum, allowing up to 4-6 weeks for this, including competitions
- Organise your own competition to take place in school or Youth Club by the end of April
- Send names of each Key Stage Winners to your local Rotary Club
Participating schools will receive a Teacher’s Handbook with lesson ideas and suggestions for getting started.
Youth Clubs will also receive a handbook with ideas for activities to engage participants.
The dates and venues for the Slamjam heats are as follows:
- WEDNESDAY MAY 2ND 2018. SOUTH AXHOLME ACADEMY, EPWORTH DN9 1DG
- THURSDAY MAY 3RD 2018. LINCOLN CHRIST’S HOSPITAL, LINCOLN LN2 4PN
- WEDNESDAY MAY 9TH 2018. DE ASTON, MARKET RASEN LN8 3RF
Louth King Edward
- THURSDAY MAY 10TH ST. GEORGE’S ACADEMY SLEAFORD RD., RUSKINGTON, NG34 9BY ( note change of venue to Ruskington campus)
St George’s, Sleaford
Heats will begin at 4.00pm and should end by 6.00pm at the latest.
As usual each school should provide an English teacher to be one of the judges at the heats.
The Lindum Rotary Club will, be supporting the heats and will provide a timekeeper and scorer.
The SlamJam final is at the Lincoln Performing Arts Centre, (LPAC) Lincoln University LN6 7TS on Thursday 28th June 2018 commencing 7.00pm
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidance for Rotary clubs can be found HERE
To read the latest 2018 Slamjam newsletter click on the link HERE