Available to all secondary schools and Youth Groups, SlamJam is an engaging and challenging opportunity for young people to develop their writing and performance skills, build their self-confidence, and – ultimately – have a real impact on an audience.
See how Slamjam could work and benefit students in your school or youth organisation by viewing this Slamjam 2018 showreel,
Turn the sound on, sit comfortably and – just click here
And to see the highlights of SlamJam 2016 just click here
SlamJam rules :
- All pieces must be original and performed by the writer(s)
- The subject matter is the choice of the writer(s)
- Each performance should be 3 minutes in duration
- There can be no use of scripts, props or costumes in the performance
- Performances can be by individuals, pairs or trios
The 2019 competition will be an open event for all young people aged 12 -18 and there will be no key stage winners.
Any youth organisation wishing to participate should contact Chris Milnes to discuss a comparable competition.
How to enter:
- Complete the 2019 competition entry form (available here) and return it by email to to the SlamJam organiser Chris Milnes by 20th January 2019
- For schools, schedule the programme to begin between January and April. It is recommended that you include this in your English or Drama curriculum, allowing up to 4-6 weeks for this, including competitions
- Organise your own competition to take place in school by the end of April
Participating schools will receive a Teacher’s Handbook with lesson ideas and suggestions for getting started.
Organisations will also receive a handbook with ideas for activities to engage participants.
The dates and venues for the Slamjam heats are being finalised but will be in April and May 2019:
Heats will begin at 4.00pm and should end by 6.00pm at the latest.
Each school with entrants should provide an English teacher to be one of the judges at the heats.
Youth organisations will have separate heats in April and May with agreed times and format.
The Lindum Rotary Club will, be supporting the heats and will provide a timekeeper and scorer.
The SlamJam final is at the Lincoln Performing Arts Centre, (LPAC) Lincoln University LN6 7TS on Thursday 20th June 2019 commencing 7.00pm
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidance for Rotary clubs can be found HERE
To read the latest Slamjam newsletter click on the link HERE